The Can-Do Candida Diet: Vanilla Frosted Cupcakes for the Candida Diet
Can-Do Candida © Isabelle Burden 2013 All rights reserved

Follow us on Pinterest to get instant updates on our newest candida diet recipes and share your Candida Can-Do favorites!

Contact us: candocandidablog@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Vanilla Frosted Cupcakes for the Candida Diet


These cupcakes have it all: a texture to rival any high-end bakery and a taste that is simply to die for.  They’re a real candida crowd pleaser, perfect for those of us with foodie friends or families to feed. 

While I was burning through ingredients, testing batch after batch to get this recipe just right, I had an epiphany.

Who you are in the kitchen is pretty much a micro representation of who you are in the world. 

When I was younger I never baked anything.  Cooking I could handle, but baking I didn’t like one bit.  I had no patience for it, all the measuring and exact values and steps that had to be followed just so, I found it all tedious at best.

This all changed, however, when I began to develop my own recipes.  Something about being able to experiment, to write my own rules and break new ground, satisfies some core need of my personality. It’s the same with most of my endeavors, I’ve found. I’m not truly satisfied unless I’m master of my own domain to some extent, succeeding or failing but always by my own merits or errors.  

I’m not trying to discourage anyone who likes to follow recipes; I think that being able to perfectly execute a recipe and share something delicious with the world is just as creative and brings just as much joy as my mad scientist version.  And anything that brings joy to others and to you is a thing worth valuing and a thing worth doing.

Now, without further adieu, I will spare you from my ramblings and present to you my recipe for fabulously fluffy, charmingly cakey, and deliciously delicate vanilla cupcakes.


This cake batter was a revelation for my kitchen. Based off of my black bean brownie recipe, this one took quite a bit of tweaking, but it was worth it to get the perfect Candida Can-Do cupcake.

The vanilla notes are aromatic and sweet, and the cake is soft and delectable.  It’s the perfect answer to any cupcake craving, and with the subtle coconut notes and smooth consistency of the buttercream, this dessert is a much lighter experience than my first cupcake recipe.

If buttercream isn’t your thing, these cupcakes also pair well with Can-Do Candida’s cream cheese icing, the recipe for which you can find in our post on carrot cake, Candida Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing, from June 27th.

And since they’re made of beans, a candida-safe starch, these tasty treats are full of protein and healthy fiber to boot!


Ingredients:

For the vanilla buttercream:

Full fat content of 2 cans unsweetened coconut milk (for term clarification, see comments section below)
1 stick salted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp liquid stevia

Refrigerate the coconut milk for at least an hour before making the frosting in order to separate the milk solids from the liquids.

Cut the softened butter into smaller chunks and place these into the bowl of a food processor. Open the refrigerated coconut milk and carefully collect the milk solids, depositing them into the food processor with the butter. Leave the liquid milk behind in the can to be used in the cupcake recipe.

Add the vanilla and stevia to the butter and coconut milk. Pulse the food processor a few times until the ingredients blend and the icing comes together. There can be some texture and even a few small lumps. Be very careful not to over-process or your butter will separate, this is the most important thing to remember.

For the cupcakes:

1 15-ounce can organic butter beans (beans in water, no added ingredients)
½ cup unsweetened liquid coconut milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 ¾ tsp liquid stevia
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 tbsp salted butter, melted
1 ½ cups almond flour
½ tsp salt
1//4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
¼ tsp lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Strain and rinse the butter beans to wash off excess starches.  Rinse until the water runs clear out of the strainer.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the beans, coconut milk, eggs, stevia, vanilla, and melted butter.  Puree these until they come together in a smooth, paste-like batter. No beans should be left whole.

To the pureed wet ingredients, add the almond flour, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar and lemon juice.  Run the food processor again to integrate all these ingredients.

Line a cupcake pan with parchment liners.  Fill each liner ¾ of the way full. 

Bake the cupcakes for 15 minutes, then rotate the pan to ensure even baking and bake for another 15 minutes.  After 30 minutes the cupcakes should have risen slightly and there should be some slight cracking patterns evident on their tops. Remove the finished cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool before frosting.

If it’s been awhile since you’ve allowed yourself the indulgent pleasure of biting into a fluffy, moist cupcake, don’t wait another day to make this recipe.

I wish you all a happy baking, making, and cupcaking!




10 comments:

  1. This recipe looks fantastic! I feel the same way about baking. Sometimes I follow recipes but for the most part I find it incredibly satisfying to develop, test and finally perfect a recipe. And that's the thing about baking, it's so finicky that when it works out it's that much more satisfying. Whereas with cooking it's harder for it to not work out.

    These look so moist and delicious. Vanilla on vanilla is my favorite and my birthday is coming up so I may just have to try out your recipe instead of creating a new one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Davida, and a very happy birthday to you in advance! I know my family and I ate these up, so I'd love to hear how the recipe works out for you if you decide to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these and hmmm, very moist and texture was awesome but lacked in sweetness. And it would've been nice to have the nutritional info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to attempt to veganize these... I hope they turn out! Yours look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need some clarification on the "coconut milk solids" aspect of the icing. I attempted the icing and it did not work at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ronny,

      I’m sorry to hear it’s not working out for you. When I say “coconut milk solids” I’m referring to the thicker, more solid portion of the milk that naturally separates at a colder or room temperature. This separation should be the natural state of full fat, unsweetened coconut milk.

      Make sure you aren’t using light coconut milk or coconut water, including the kind that comes in a carton and is a pourable replacement for dairy milk. The coconut milk needed for this recipe comes in a can, and I have found two brands to be reliable so far, Thai Kitchen and Edward & Sons Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk. These can be found at many markets, or ordered online.

      If the can has been recently shaken, warmed, or in some other way disturbed, try sticking it in your refrigerator for an hour or so and you should see the solids rise to the top. At this point, you can readily skim them off to use in your icing. I hope I helped to clarify. Good Luck!

      Can-Do Candida

      Delete
  6. I am also on a candida diet and this one looks very delicious. I would like to try this out but unfortunately I don't know what is butter beans. I live in the Netherlands and haven't heard of it here. Please help. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be using coconut creme and the whole can is mostly solid form, how much should I use for the frosting? Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im a bit confused, I have read over and over again that someone fighting candida through diet has to avoid all beans, yet these are marketed as candida dieter friendly cupcakes. Im sorry, if I am missing something could someone please fill me in on it?

    ReplyDelete