The Can-Do Candida Diet: Candida Diet Zucchini Muffins: Squash for Sweater Weather
Can-Do Candida © Isabelle Burden 2013 All rights reserved

Follow us on Pinterest to get instant updates on our newest candida diet recipes and share your Candida Can-Do favorites!

Contact us: candocandidablog@gmail.com

Monday, September 16, 2013

Candida Diet Zucchini Muffins: Squash for Sweater Weather


It’s officially sweater weather where I am, and I don’t know about you, but when the air gets that autumnal chill I start jonesing for sweet and spiced baked goods: muffins, pies – anything full of cinnamon and nutmeg that is soft and warm and, well, sugary. 

These zucchini muffins are my candida diet answer to that sugary comfort we can’t help but crave when the weather turns nippy.  Since this recipe is gluten-free, sugar-free, and sweetened with stevia, it’s a guilt-free way to enjoy a classic breakfast or afternoon treat - not to mention baking in a warm kitchen is an excellent way to keep everyone cozy and entertained once the weather starts to turn. 

candida diet zucchini muffins

When I made these muffins they were destined for the breakfast table, and with a balance of vegetable fiber and protein-packed flours, they’re almost a meal in themselves. 

The use of cardamom in this recipe is optional.  I added it for its lovely floral flavor and I find it elevates the other spices and gives the muffins a slightly exotic dimension, but take care to use it sparingly as it can quickly become overpowering. 

As you can see from the photograph below, I used a rough shred on my zucchini.  If you would like the squash to disappear more into your batter use a fine shred, which I have noted in the recipe. 


Ingredients:

1 ½ cups almond flour
1 cup coconut flour
½ cup hazelnut flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
3 tsps cinnamon
Optional: pinch (and I do mean a pinch, this spice has a strong flavor) of cardamom
¼ tsp baking soda
4 eggs
½ cup milk
12 tbsps (1 ¼ sticks) salted butter, melted
2 tbsps Greek yogurt
2 tsps vanilla extract
2 tsps liquid stevia
2 tsps lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
4 cups finely shredded zucchini
½ cup chopped walnuts


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the almond, coconut, and hazelnut flours.  Add the salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom (if you so choose), and baking soda. 

In a medium-sized bowl, beat four eggs.  To the beaten eggs add milk, melted butter, Greek yogurt, vanilla, and liquid stevia.  Whisk the wet ingredients together to ensure they are well mixed.  Once these ingredients are evenly blended (don’t worry about remaining small lumps of yogurt) whisk in the lemon juice and lemon zest. 

Add the finely shredded zucchini to the wet mixture and stir a few times to coat the zucchini. 

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to thoroughly combine into a thick, sticky batter.  Lastly, add the chopped walnuts and fold them into the batter to evenly distribute them throughout. 

Scoop the muffins into a parchment cup-lined muffin tray, using your hands to shape the batter in the cups (think of it as playing with play-doh, and shape your ideal muffin before it bakes).  This recipe makes a dozen muffins. 

Bake the muffins for 30 minutes or until the tops appear golden brown at the edges.

Serve plain or toasted and buttered.  Keep these muffins in the refrigerator, or store in the freezer and defrost as needed.  


14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could this be made with just 2 c almond flour and coconut flour? Or would the taste/texture change too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Distant_Dreamer,

      It is very easy to sub between different nut flours because the textures and baking behaviors are the same. Just replace the amount of hazelnut flour with its exact equal in almond flour (so yes, 2 cups of almond flour as you said). They will taste delicious and shouldn’t be too different from the originals.

      Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I just tried this last night, and mine turned out really crumbly - which was not what I was hoping for! Any thoughts or tips on what I might be doing wrong? I did use 1 1/2 cups Almond Flour and 1 1/2 cups coconut flour and no hazelnut, but I would only think that would change taste - not texture. The batter was very dry, and so I suspected the muffins would be crumbly, but I don't know how to fix it. Let me know if you have any ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi kberg,

      I’m sorry to hear you weren’t happy with them. Unfortunately, that could have been an issue with going too heavy on the coconut flour. Coconut flour behaves differently in recipes than the nut flours do; it absorbs water in great quantities but oils and fats less readily. I’m not 100% sure why the muffins ended up on the crumbly side of the spectrum, but in the future if you only have one kind of nut flour on hand, I recommend substituting an extra 1/2 cup of almond flour for the hazelnut, instead of playing with the amount of coconut. That should leave the recipe virtually unchanged.

      Better luck next time!

      Can-Do Candida

      Delete
  4. Could I use only coconut flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trilby,

      I wouldn’t recommend using only coconut flour. Coconut flour has a very high water absorption rate, which means you would have some very, very wet muffins - not very cake-like in texture. You could, however, replace the hazelnut flour with more almond flour or vice versa, as their behaviors in the recipe are virtually identical. If a nut allergy is the problem, I’m afraid I can’t help you there, but I’m working on some nut-free recipes that will hopefully be posted soon.

      Best of Luck!

      Can-Do Candida

      Delete
  5. can I substitute the eggs for flax eggs? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these and I cooked them, and cooked them, and cooked them. And they got brown on top, but they just never firmed up. I'm not sure if my zucchini was too juicy or if our altitude (7500 feet) caused it, but it's disappointing. : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thing happened to mine. I live in TX so it wasn't the altitude for me :/
      I did accidently switch the amounts for the almond and hazelnut floors, do you think that would cause this?

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tried this recipe a few times now. I do not use the hazelnut flour but also do not add more of the other flours. I use coconut oil instead of the butter and I also add 1/4 cup more coconut milk. It has made them more moist. The walnuts are what makes this so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 12 tablespoons is 1 and a half STICKS of butter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made last night and this recipe has been a saving grace for a go to snack. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete