The Can-Do Candida Diet: Candida Diet Chocolate Chip Cookies: A Chip off the Old Block
Can-Do Candida © Isabelle Burden 2013 All rights reserved

Follow us on Pinterest to get instant updates on our newest candida diet recipes and share your Candida Can-Do favorites!

Contact us: candocandidablog@gmail.com

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Candida Diet Chocolate Chip Cookies: A Chip off the Old Block


The chocolate chip cookie is one of those foods whose appearance is just as iconic as its flavor.  Just a glance or a whiff in the air calls to mind images of idealistic childhood (the one you had, or perhaps, the one you wished for): little cartoon girls and boys standing on stools attempting to sneak one of these iconic morsels out of a ceramic jar before dinner without their mother noticing.  Maybe there’s a golden retriever waiting for crumbs to fall, maybe mother is wearing an apron and vacuuming the living room in heels...or maybe not.  

Even growing up as I did in a family of artists, unorthodox as we were in so many of our habits and traditions, I remember visiting my Nana and stirring a bowl of sweet, buttery cookie dough.     


It’s food like this that you miss on a candida diet.  More than the taste of any one particular cookie or cake or candy, you miss the memories that are nestled therein.  You miss the feelings that those foods bring back to you.  You miss the sense that a cookie could mean so much more than calories: it could mean comfort. 

I am posting this recipe from Berlin, a city that is thousands of miles away from the one in which I grew up, and now I am struggling to pull words together in my native language just as a few hours ago I struggled to find them in another.  I am looking back on my American childhood with a perspective that is, here in Germany, utterly foreign.  Like a child I have to learn again how to communicate with others, and to make sure that I have what I need to take care of myself, not only physically but mentally. 

It is not easy to feel this difference, and it is not comfortable to be so aware of the distance while feeling so powerless to bridge it.    

What I am learning here, however, is to take steps forward; to look and to listen and then to place the sole of my foot before my fear.  I am exploring a parallel world while finding a respect and a love for the culture that shaped me, as well as an understanding of what for me constitutes “home”.

With all that in mind, here is my recipe for a nostalgic classic, from my kitchen to yours:  


Ingredients:

1 ¾ cups almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
1 tbsp flax seed meal
½ tsp salt
tsp baking soda
¼ tsp cream of tartar
2 eggs
2 ½ tsp liquid stevia
2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp salted butter, melted and browned
2 tbsp half and half
cup chopped stevia chocolate chunks (I used Coco Polo 70%)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

In a large bowl, add the almond flour, coconut flour, flax seed meal, salt, baking soda, and tartar.  Stir to combine.

In a medium sized bowl, beat together two eggs.  To the beaten eggs, add liquid stevia, vanilla, and half and half.  Stir to integrate. 

To this mixture of liquids, add the browned butter.  You can make this by melting butter in a saucepan on the stovetop, slowly.  Watch it carefully and keep the heat low, allowing the butter to brown slightly without burning.  It should turn a light amber color: about 6 minutes give or take. 

Add the liquid ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir until the dough becomes sticky and thick.  Add the chocolate chunks and stir with a folding motion until they are evenly distributed throughout. 

On a greased baking sheet, shape your cookies.  Each cookie should be about two teaspoons worth of dough.  If you like gooey cookies, make them thicker (mine are about ¼ - ½ an inch thick at their middle point). 

Place in the oven for 15 minutes, turning the baking sheet halfway through to ensure that they bake evenly.  Makes 10-12 cookies.  

These cookies are best straight out of the oven, but if there are leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container for up to five days.

Serving suggestion: share these cookies with someone you love.  
Here’s to old memories, new adventures, and happy baking!  


5 comments:

  1. amazing! Been sugar free for 6 weeks and tried several recipes for other 'sweets' that were not very good, these were great! I subbed carob chips for the chocolate because I am sensitive to caffeine. Hit the spot that desperately needed to be hit! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know diary, hence all the butter in your recipes is forbidden on the candida diet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,

    While you are right to address the potential inflammatory properties of dairy, there are in fact many different varieties of the Candida Diet. Many utilize stages of severity, cutting out all potentially aggravating foods in the beginning and then slowly reintroducing them as time progresses. I don’t personally know of any that have butter on the no-go list, but it’s possible I’ve missed a few.

    While dairy products in large or unchecked amounts can indeed have adverse effects on Candida populations in the body, I believe above all in promoting a food philosophy of moderation and information, rather than complete denial. Take greek yogurt for example (used in some of my recipies), which is dairy, but also has healthy colonies of probiotics and enzymes that can be good for the body as well. I use organic dairy in my dessert recipes because it makes the final product tastier, and what’s dessert without a little indulgence, really?

    Of course, every individual is different and every body reacts differently to the ingredients. If you find dairy is a problem for you, then you’re certainly right that it's best to stay away from it.

    Thanks for the tip!

    Can-Do Candida

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your blog, I am currently helping my mother in law follow a semi-candida diet. She feels so overwhelmed and doesn't even know where to start, the doctors have told her what she "can't eat", but thanks to your blog we will find and bake some yummy breads/sweet, etc. that she CAN eat.

    ReplyDelete